Monday, 7 September 2009

First Month

So I guess I have some cathing up to do. Sorry I haven´t posted anything recently I have just been really busy and tired. I will try to fill you in on all of the eventful days, which is just about all of them so this might be a long post. I will start about a little less than two weeks ago:

Wedesday, August 26, 2009
This is the day that I went to a Rotary meeting where I presented the club president with the Canadian Flag. I couldn´t really understand much, but I told them in as much Portuguese as I could, who I was and how thankful I was to be hosted by their club. I was able to introduce Portuguese but Luiza had to translate the rest.

Friday, August 28, 2009
Due to Luiza going on her Exchange she had a barbeque with all of her friends. The barbeque was officially on Saturday but some people came and spent the night on Friday. Mainly people who didn´t live around here. So I got to meet a few more of her friends. Everyone was so nice and I had a lot of fun.
Saturday, August 29, 2009- My First Brasilian Churrasco (Barbeque)!
This was definetly an eventful day. There were a lot of people there and it was a lot of fun. It was a beautiful day so everyone was able to go for a swim in the pool. Whether they were in there bathing suit or regular clothes most either went in themselves or were thrown in! I was one that got thrown in! It was a really long day but it was worth it and this night a few more people stayed over, I would say slept over but some didn't sleep!















Just about everyone at Luiza's barbeque!

Sunday, August 30, 2009
The festivities continued... It was again a very nice day so more people spent a lot of the time in the pool as well as the boys played soccer and such. And finally we ended the day with watching the video that my host mother had taken on Saturday.



Relaxing in the pool
Monday, August 31, 2009
On monday because Luiza was not there I was supposed to go to lunch at Angelica's, because Monday's we have a two or so hour break before we go back to school until about 5:30pm. But when I got to Angelica's things didn't work out and at this point i didn't have the number of my friends from school so I went to the fastfood place to eat by myself. So I had to call Cristina to tell her what i wanted so I gave my phone to the guy at the counter and Cristina ordered for me. But then when i was going to sit down I noticed some students from school and I sat with them. Some of them spoke a little English but not a lot, but that was ok, we then went to a chocolate shop and then back to school where I then met up with my friend Letícia and she gave me her cell number.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009
School was pretty uneventful, but after school I was invited to go to Lunch at Letícia's house, because school ends 12:40pm. She has a lovely family, and a wonderful home. Her family doesn't speak a lot of English, but she can, and she likes practicing on me, however she knows that this can't last for long, and that I have to learn Portguese. Also Luiza came over for Lunch and then we went to Letícia's English lesson, where we waited for Cristina to pick Luiza and I up so Luiza could go to her German Lesson. While Luiza was at her German Lesson, Cristina and I went to my other host grandmother's house who I had met a couple times before.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009
After school on Wednesday I went to Letícia's house again where some of the other girls from school came over and worked on a Chemistry project. I was part of the group but I didn't do anything. I then went to another Rotary meeting.
Left to Right: Thais, Bianca, Me, Letícia, and Carol (Another girl, Lívia, had already left)
Thursday, September 3, 2009
On Thursday I was supposed to start a game called handball, but as I was sitting waiting for everything to start I found out that it had been cancelled. So I was able to talk, sort of, with Dona Rita (Vice Principle), who doesn't speak English, and she told me that it had been cancelled. I was so happy because I could actually somewhat understand her. So shortly after I got picked up and went home.

Friday, September 4, 2009
Friday was the day of Gabriel's Birthday (a friend of Luiza), because Luiza didn't go to school this week she spent the day with him and they picked me up after school. Luiza had to get somethings from downtown to take with her so Gabriel waited for us at the school with some of his friends, when we came back Gabriel met us at the bridge outside the school. At the other end of the bridge was a mob of boys awaiting Gabriel's arrival, it is not so much a tradition but just what some boys do on their birthday, but they were waiting for him with a handful of eggs where they then chased him around town.
After Gabriel had done what he needed to clean up we went out for Lunch and then after that went to Angelica's. Afterwords Cristina picked up Luiza, Angelica and I and went back to our place, because this was Luiza's last weekend, some of her closest friends stayed the weekend. It was a fun weekend it just sucked that it was because we were all saying goodbye.













From the front left and Around: Luiza, Alberto, Gustavo, Vinicius, Kevin, Angelica, Ranyere and ME
Sunday, September 6, 2009
This was the last day before Luiza left, so a lot of it was about final good-byes. In the afternoon we all went to Engenheiro Paulo de Frontin, where we met some of the Rotarians and Interact students who all sayed there goodbyes.
Monday, September 7, 2009
Today we all got in the car and went to the airport. At the airport we met a few other people who were there to say goodbye. It was really hard for everyone to say goodbye. It's really weird I only knew her for 1 month but she has already become my sister. I am really going to miss her and I hope she has an amazing year in Germany.



Saying Goodbye at the Airport
and Finally...
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 (TODAY!)
Today wasn't a very exciting day. I did write an English test today which I think was so easy that I got some answers wrong. Then I think either today or sometime this week Cristina is going to start giving me Portuguese lessons. Then tomorrow I will go to Letícia's after school to have lunch and then back to the school for Educação Física.

I think that is everything. I am sorry that they are not the most detailed. Also sometime in there, I forget which day, I wrote my first math test. It didn't go to badly, my friend João Claudio helped me write it, he can speak english farely well. Most of it I knew how to do it was just what the questions were asking that I didn't understand.
From now on I have to write all of the tests like the other students and three of my friends (Letícia, João Claudio and Lívia) who speak english are dividing the subjects up to help me.

Tchau!
Sarah
ps. sorry the formatting is kind of messed up on this blogsite, thats why everything is kind of all over the place
















No comments:

Post a Comment